Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My (First) PC Build

So I thought I'd post a little bit about the PC I built. It was my first ever, which made it an experience for me. I really learned alot, and I plan to build all my PCs from hereon out. Anyway, enough blabber, now: the parts, stats, and my opinions.


 
GIGABYTE GZ-X2BPD-500
I got this case because I thought it looked cool. It was $20 less than the other cases, and I thought that was just a plus. But I was wrong. I accidentally stepped on the front ports, which broke the USB and audio ports, which sucks, but that's my fault for trying to walk around while the light is off.
PROS: Cheaper than the other cases, excellent blue light in front. Came with a 120mm exhaust silent fan; not sure on the airflow rate, but it is VERY silent.
CONS: Slot was too small for hard drive (forced it in [which was a bad idea on my part]). The metal clamp that's supposed to keep PCI cards in place is designed poorly so that it doesn't clamp when the PCI cards are in. The metal PCI slits that you take off to take to let the cards stick out the back break off, which (I've heard) isn't as good as if you can pop them in and out. Didn't come with an intake fan (which I didn't know you needed, but it's apparently crucial).
SUMMARY: Looks good! But that's about it. Isn't very well constructed.



CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX
Had this one recommended to me because it has a very high efficiency and is made by a reliable brand. (According to Newegg, "Voted 2009 Best Power Supply Manufacturer by Custom PC Magazine". Make of that what you will.) It has some nice features for Nvidia, even though I didn't get an NVidia card.
PROS: Good looking PSU (not that that's too important...) Cables are all wrapped in....lanyards...I don't know the right term. Fan is very silent.
CONS: None, really. Love this PSU, as far as PSUs go. The cords are a tad long (to accommodate for large cases), so they do kinda cramp up the inside of mah case.
SUMMARY: Great PSU. Period. Quiet, efficient, all I could ask for.


SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670
I really didn't know much about GPU, and I still really don't. I asked people what a good card to play games like Left4Dead 2 would be, and they suggested this. The reason I went along with it is because (almost) all the graphics cards I've had have been ATI, and they've all worked ok without any major problems.
PROS: Very quiet fan. Works with all the games I've thrown at it (the most demanding being Left4Dead 2). 512MB GDDR3 RAM. HDMI port.
CONS: None, really.
SUMMARY: Great, no complaints, just works.


LG W1943TB-PF
I found this one all on my own! One of the only pieces that wasn't suggested to me at all.
PROS: 18.5" widescreen (just big enough for my desk [19"]).1366 x 768 resolution, which is even bigger than what I wanted. Response time is 5ms (for gaming). Contrast Ratio is 30000:1!
CONS: No HDMI port (I didn't want one anyway). Light is red, I wanted blue (waaaaah!).
SUMMARY: Great, great monitor. Light, large, beautifully brilliant, and great for gaming.






PATRIOT PDC22G6400LLK
I just wanted 2GB cause I still use Windows XP. Actually, I wanted 4GB, but didn't want to cough up the dough.
PROS: Low timing (4-4-4-12). Heat shield. Good brand (I was told).
CONS: None! (But I don't know much about cons for RAM.)
SUMMARY: Great RAM!



Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS
I've had Western Digital before and I've always been vastly impressed. Plus, it was recommended to me.
PROS: 500GB is just the size I needed. RPM speed is great (7200 RPM).
CONS: Nothing, really.
SUMMARY: Great drive. All that I could ask for.





Athlon II X3 435
I'm not sure, but I think I got this right as it was coming out. It wasn't even on Newegg yet.
PROS: Decently fast.
CONS: Tends to run hot, even though that might be the case or my setup.
SUMMARY: No problems yet, really (besides a few heat warnings). Great processor.





GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2HJust had this one suggested to me. Tried my best to understand if it was what I wanted.
PROS: Two PCIe slots. Supports my CPU socket. Respectable FSB (2600MHz).
CONS: Says has 6 USB 2.0, but I'm unsure about two of them.....I'm pretty sure I've seen the "this device could perform faster" dialog.
SUMMARY:  Great mobo, for my first one.




That's it for my initial build. As you can see, I'm still a novice (well, I'm hoping at least an intermediate-novice) when it comes to hardware. I tried my best to learn as much as I could but there is a heck of a lot of information for each piece.

There's some other stuff I tagged on later, piece by piece, like a keyboard, an external DVD drive, a gaming mouse, a wireless card, and speakers, but I think I'm going to make a separate post for each of those later on, because I have a bit more to say about all of those.

Later taters.
-Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment