Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hv3 (HTML Viewer 3)

A while ago, I found a neato little web browser called HTML Viewer 3, or Hv3 for short. I've gotta say, of all the web browsers I've used over the years, Hv3 has given me the biggest initial impression. Why? Well, for starters, when I ran what I thought was the installer, it ended out being the application itself. (I shoulda known since it said everywhere that it was "standalone", but seriously....how many standalone web browsers do you know of?)

Anyway, the only other file it optionally needs is "hv3_polipo.exe" which it will ask to install every time you run it unless it exists. But if you install that file, it never asks you again and the two files combined only add up to about 2.5MB, which I believe might be the smallest browser I know of. The only one that comes to mind that is like it is OffByOne, which is only 1.2MB and is standalone as well. The difference between the two is that OffByOne's graphics are kind of sub par...ok, they're not sub par, but they all look like they're from Windows 98. HV3, however, looks completely modern.

Other than that, it really surprised me because of the fact that it uses Tkhtml to render pages, something that I've never seen before. So that means that it's not based off IE, which is great. It's also cross platform, open source, the whole deal.

The only odd part that I find is that doesn't save bookmarks/history/settings by default. You have to add an argument to the EXE. If you don't, than it's like Chrome's Incognito mode or Firefox's private browsing, and it doesn't leave any trace of where you've been. But then you don't get your bookmarks.

Anyway, it's pretty awesome. Check it out.
-Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment