Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The iTunes zombie

I dunno if anyone else has this problem, but sometimes, iTunes won't stay dead. Like just now, I wanted to close iTunes because I wanted Firefox next to a new program I'm trying out (I won't spoil the surprise) and I just recently switched to bbLean which doesn't have a drag and drop feature like I had with TaskbarShuffle (but that's another story). Anyway, I wasn't using iTunes, so I decided to close it down. But it came back.

It's a very weird effect that I've seen many a time on my machine. For some reason, when I close iTunes, it will start back up again. That doesn't sound too bad, except for the fact that iTunes wants to control everything so it freezes up every other program until it is completely started, and since iTunes is getting more and more bloated with each release, this can often mean waiting for quite a while before you can actually use your programs again.

To be fair, I don't think it's iTunes fault...entirely, at least. When attempting to close, I always get an "Programs are using iTunes' scripting interface" message, but I usually think nothing of it. The only thing I can actually think of that uses an iTunes interface in any way is the MusicTracker plugin for Pidgin that auto-updates my status. Now I'm not sure, but I think that it also shows this message when Pidgin is not running, but I'm too lazy to check at the moment. But the matter of fact is, iTunes shouldn't be built in such a way that just because a script is running that can use iTunes, iTunes should autorun itself. I don't blame Pidgin in the slightest, and I doubt it's MusicTracker's fault. Sure, maybe I'm biased.....but.........well, yeah, maybe I am biased.

It's pretty annoying. I think if I just didn't have iTuneshelper running, it might fix the problem. But still, few things are worse than laying a program down to rest, only to see it rise and once again walk the earth.....er, run in your taskbar.

Survivor of the program zombie apocalypse,
-Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment