Saturday, May 8, 2010

PROJECT: vOmniMachine

A while ago I mentioned a dream I had of creating a multi-boot system, an Omni-system, if you will. It turns out that there is a limit of Operating Systems you can have on a hard drive, so it changed to a virtual machine with many different OSes installed. And I've finally begun installing them.

NOTE: This post is going to change. Alot. Because I don't feel like writing something after I'm done and trying to remember it all, I'm just going to write stuff down as I go along. And I might as well post it, rather than keep it in draft. And I'm not going to add [UPDATE] tags like usual, it's just going to have new stuff injected sporadically. Will be fun. Also, I'll probably do another post about what I think about the OSes, but not here. This is the Project's status, and also screenshots!


Here's a list of the OSes I'm planning to install/have installed/tried to install. Italics means it's successfully installed, bold means it's one of the next ones I'm going to try, strikethrough means it failed or I decided against it, underline means I got Guest Additions (GA) to work (which I'm going to do as many as I possibly can), and * means I still need to get a screencap (which means I might be trying to get GA to work first). Things can mix, so like if I'm having problems with something, it will be bold strikethrough, whereas if I'm just giving up on something, it will be only strikethrough.

Archlinux ("No bootable medium found")
Ark
*Absolute
Austrumi
BasicLinux
Berry (No Sudo = No GA)
BlackPantherOS (GA is installed but broken)
BLAG
BSD
CDLinux
Chakra
*Chrome OS
Crunchbang
Damn Small Linux
Debian
Debris
DeLi
Feather
*Fedora (GA doesn't work because Xorg is uncompatible?)
Fluxbuntu
Gentoo (Holy mother of god, this is complicated)
gOS (Having trouble booting in VB)
JNode (Has trouble with VB)
KNOPPIX
*Macpup (I think I broke X...)
Mandriva
Mint
muLinux
OpenSolaris
*openSUSE
Pardus
Peppermint
PCLinuxOS
Puppy
PureOS
ReactOS (won't boot in VB?)
SimplyMEPIS
Slackware
Slax (havin' trouble with LILO)
Slitaz
Tinycore (GA almost works....but broken)
Ubuntu
Unity (beta)
*VectorLinux (internet isn't working, so I can't do my trademark Google seamless screenshot)
Wolvix

Current OS Count: 26


No comments:

Post a Comment