Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I might be electrocuting myself.

This might vary well be the dumbest thing I've ever said on here, which I know I've said several times before, but this time it is especially true. My computer (Dark) is currently sitting on the ground next to me, to the left of my desk. Now every time I put my foot flat out beneath my chair, so that it's about 6 inches away from Dark, it will occasionally go numb or....I dunno how to describe it, but I'm 97% sure it is due to electricity. Why? Because I've always been a bit of a prankster and I own about 5 items intended to shock the victim, so I'm used to what being shocked feels like. And this is that.

Anyway, if I move my foot (which I just did at the beginning of this post) the feeling immediately leaves, but I've also noticed at least once that if I left my foot in the same spot, the feeling just vanished, as if the current somehow moved.

So I either have some bizarre foot disorder that makes my left foot and lower leg go numb only when seated at my desk, or my computer is sending off an electric current to the ground around it. But I just moved my right foot to where my left foot usually sits and felt the same effect, so I assume it must be the latter.

I'm primarily concerned for two reasons:
1. I may be running a small, fairly insignificant current through my foot, and I have no idea what health detriments that might cause.
and
2. It means that Dark's electricity is not contained, meaning I'm losing some current that could be used powering my PC. That and it might be running up my electric bill.

I'm kind of at a quandary of what to do next. Maybe this is just typical since, after all, a case is supposed to ground your components and I've just never noticed. But maybe it's not, and I haven't a clue of how to test to see if there actually IS a current flowing, other than bury a meter or lightbulb into the carpet. Even so, I have no idea how large the current would be.

I really don't know how I could have hooked up my build wrong, but I'm not going to rule it out. Maybe I used a wrong type of screw or something for fastening a piece, or maybe my goram network card is screwing up, or maybe my case is poorly designed. My guess is this has something to do with my stupid D-link wireless card's poor connectivity: it's either causing the poor signal by sending current where it isn't meant to go, or the wireless card is malfunctioning on it's own, causing a poor signal and sending a current.

Pray that my feet don't get the electric chair,
-Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment