Monday, September 27, 2010

I miss Rock

This post is not going to be very thought out or long, but I can't fall asleep, and I wanted to test out Blogpress.

If you haven't heard, saurik bought Rock. Soon after, Rock had an update that basically killed it, redirecting users to use Cydia.

Personally, I don't CARE about the store. I haven't bought a JB app yet, I might never. What I do care about is true quality of the app. And Cydia. Sucks.

Why does Cydia suck? Hundreds of reasons. Maybe it's because it takes literally 3 minutes to load EVERY time you start Cydia. Maybe it's cause sections are divided poorly and are difficult to navigate. Maybe it's because it makes key sounds even if you have them turned off. Maybe it's because it is essentially unusable. When I first jailbroke my iPod touch, I wondered what I got myself into becaus I disliked Cydia so much. Then I found Rock, and it became awesome.

Rock is everything Cydia is not. It's fast, well designed, and caters to what the user wants. Now saurik got greedy and decided to try to control all the jailbroken stores. And in doing so, he destroyed the best living package manager available.

I am grateful to saurik for what he's done for the jb community. But not this. If he was actually going to improve on Cydia, like bring in features from Rock, that would be great. But I am 99% positive that Cydia will remain the exact same steaming pile of shit that it's been for years. (Hey, Cydia's icon is brown, right? Coincidence?) He claims that Rock was fast because it did some "incorrect/dangerous" crap, and I'm just calling BS on that. Yeah, I may be speaking from inexperience, but Rock never gave me any problems, and it was fast, and that's all I ask for.

Now to wrap it up, here's a list of the package managers I can find/have heard of, and their current state:
Cydia: slow and unusable; good only as a backup
Rock: lost to Cydia in 9/10
Pakage: discontinued before beta/release.
Installer 4: apparently very popular back in the day, but I can't find any mention past 2008.
Icy: created by RipDev, but discontinued late 2009
Icy Installer: a child of Icy, supposed to come out late October.
Euphoria: another child of Icy, though I've only heard of it in rumor
Kryptes: the only alternative alive, that I can find. Unpolished and biased, but I haven't used it much yet.

It's just plain depressing. I didn't even realize how much I loved Rock (or hated Cydia) until it was taken from me. I really hope I can find another, because I honestly will go insane if I have to use Cydia.

Let me know if there are any others, past or present (ATTOTP).
-Bry
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. OMG, I feel the same way.

    Been trying to download apps from Cydia for two days. Most have some sort of size mismatch problem. WTH??

    Rock.. well.. Rocked.

    /cry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even after recent "upgrades" it seems cydia is still slow and unreliable, so it's exactly the same shit. Saurik has no imagination, I'm embarrassed for him. He seems to be focussing solely on filling his pockets with what he's got instead of making cydia more attractive to bring in the customers. Someone smarter than me needs to create an installer more like install0us, it has an excellent GUI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous,

    I agree. I think saurik is actually ok with his software being unusable since he has a shirt that pokes fun at its flaw:
    http://tinyurl.com/46xff8c

    To me, that would be like Bill Gates running around with a BSOD shirt, but apparently saurik thinks differently.


    I agree, but the thing about Installous is that it really isn't much of an installer, as far as I know. It does let you search, but you don't download the software through APT like Cydia.

    The thing that I don't understand most is how amazingly fast Apt is on desktop Linux. Why would it slow down so incredibly much on iOS? That's what leads me to believe that saurik is just content with being the only JB installer and not giving a shit what his app is like.


    It will never cease to amaze me that someone as smart as saurik can be so dumb when it comes to things like creating for the user.

    ReplyDelete