Thursday, September 16, 2010

My video card driver just crashed

Weirdness of weirdnesses....after I wrote my last post, I was doing stuff when I decided to go upstairs and talk to my brother. (I'm currently giving him advice on building his first PC.) When I came back down a while later, I found that my PC looked weird and had a window about the driver "not being compatible with this version of Windows", or something like that. The weirdest part is that all my programs were still open, so that means my driver literally crashed while my PC was still running.

It just seems weird to me....it seems like if your video card is going to crash whilst running, it will result in a BSOD, and cause your PC to restart. Mine didn't it just quit and then my computer continued as normal. Just weird.

Come to think of it, I did install Electric Sheep a while ago, which is basically a screen saver on steroids. I rarely leave my PC on and unattended, so it probably hasn't done that much, so it very well could have crashed my driver.

Anyway, weird bug. I'm scanning for rootkits now, but I'm not sure if I want to invest any more energy than that.
-Bry

[UPDATE 10-2-10]
I thought of something the other day....it could be that my video card is overheating. My comp does run a little hot, but I don't think it would overheat from just running idle. I could possibly understand in the middle of running a resource-intensive game, but when idling? Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment