Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tricked into Windows Updates

The other day I installed Windows Live Photo Gallery because I've looked everywhere for a photo organizer that is what I like. (Apparently they're all built around "photos" instead of "images"; what about those of us that want to organize our lolcats?) So anyway, it does something that pisses me off: couples Windows Live Movie Maker with Photo Gallery. Then, after I get it installed, I see the little balloon near my tray. "Windows will apply these 30 updates after a reboot." What? Let me ask again.....what? Seriously? What does the Windows Live Photo Gallery have to do with Windows Updates? Nothing. But it still apparently switched my preference to "Update Automatically."

I don't like Windows Updates, mostly because they tend to break stuff, and because I just don't know what they do. Service Packs are different, but I just tend to ignore updates (and quite honestly, I could never tell a difference with XP.) Nonetheless, I never set it to Automatic because then I am depending on Microsoft to choose what is best for me.

Microsoft = stupid. End The.
-Bry
Powered by Zoundry Raven

[UPDATE 11-9-10]
Apparently Silverlight was included in those updates and for some reason Netflix hasn't updated with to the newest version of Silverlight. So Microsoft broke Netflix for me. Thanks Gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment