Friday, November 12, 2010

Upgrade Wishlist (+Heatsink hurr durr)

I've been giving alot of thought to what I am going to upgrade on my PC and in what order (case obviously being first). I really haven't decided on what order yet, but some things do depend on others.

  • Eventually, I'll have to upgrade my Power Supply. I really didn't know how much I actually needed for my build, but apparently I'm currently pulling about 300-350W. I thought I'd be more around 500W so I'd need to upgrade right away, but it's nice to have a little room.
    Anyway, I am really content with Corsair, but I want a modular supply next. If I get 850W+, I should be set, almost for life. The model I would buy now is the CMPSU-850HX.
  • No one told me to buy a Heatsink, so I'm using stock. Which is probably one of the reasons I'm having temp issues. I really haven't looked into this because I thought it was dependent on my CPU.
    Yes, I had a dumb moment. I know that heatsinks are either for Intel or AMD processors, but I also forgot that one can be both. Like my brothers which came with mounts for both. HURRRRR DURRRRR.
    Anyway, how soon I get a heatsink will depend on how drastically my new case will help my temperature issue.
  • It might just be a Win7 issue, but I might need a new Graphics Card. I've been trying to convince myself to not upgrade until I wasn't able to play games, but it's already kinda happening. With games I've played before. For some reason it's been kinda having issues with LFD2, and I have no clue why.
    Anyway, I'm also considering switching to Nvidia. Why? I dunno, I guess I just think they're heading in a better direction. On the other hand, if I get another ATI, I can use CrossFire or whatever. Still up in the air about this one, and I really don't want to have to buy one anyway....at least not yet.
  • Since I switched to Win7, 2GB of RAM is really not enough. So I need to buy some more. Problem? I still have DDR2. My mobo only supports DDR2, and I really want to spend money on DDR3, not buying more of the obsolete kind. So in order to score some more RAM, I'll need....
    • A motherboard. This is mostly for DDR3 RAM and USB 3.0 compatibility, but it also depends on...
      • The Processor. You can always use more speed, so I'm always ready to buy a new CPU. I've got 2.9Ghz tri-core, and now Quad-core is standard.
        The only thing is....I kinda want to switch to Intel. Why? I really don't know. I mean, I just don't understand the difference enough between the two to prefer one over the other. I just recently learned that you can't overclock Intel processors, which may make me reconsider.
        Basically I need to decide now if I want Intel or AMD. If I want to stick with AMD, I can just keep the CPU I have now, but if I want to switch, then I'll have to get a processor as well, unless I wanted to use the 1Ghz single core Pentium I have in my closet.
  • Speakers...Um, I could get speakers....if money wasn't a factor. But I frankly would rather put the money toward anything else in this list. I don't use my Altec Lansing speakerbar that much, and I doubt I'd use any others as well.
    Buuuut that won't stop me from picking some out: LOGISYS SP8000BK. (4.1 surround sound, 5 eggs....for $40.)
  • Also really low on the list is a Fan Controller, a Card Reader, and other things I don't really need, but might buy cheap from DealExtreme.
's'all.
-Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment