It's just unfamilar territory. There's specific hardware and ARM processors and all that jazz. But it sounds like so much fun, I really want to try. Maybe this summer or something, but I really need an in-depth guide like a book, or maybe eve just mp3car.com, which is a good resource for that kind of thing.
Secondly, and this is less of a resolution since I'm hoping to start and finish it ASAP, I'm trying to find a new case for my EEE 901. I kind of took it apart and can't get it back together, plus it was boring me. (For those curious, I mostly couldn't get the damn touchpad connected and working, and I think I might have even ruined the tiny cord for it.) So I want to put it in a new case. Here's what I'm thinking.
It's not going to be a netbook anymore. I'm going to trash the keyboard and mouse, and probably the screen. It's basically going to be an uber small box. I've always wanted to use a toaster, but I'd rather save that for mini-ITX or something more powerful/feature filled. But anyway, it's still going to be more or less the same features. Pretty much nothing is going to connect straight to the board, but rather through extensions.
- USB will be just a squid/hub, like [this] - $5
- The SD will also be an extension (which I did not know existed), like [these] - $8
- VGA will hopefully be a very small extension, if I can find one like [this] - $15 (pricy?)
- The audio (mic and headphones) will both be short extensions like [this] - $4
- The Ethernet will be a short extension like [this] - $10 (pricy?)
- Things like the speakers, mic, and fan will probably all be inside the case, or ditched. The webcam will probably have to be ditched.
- The power Cord (see this) will be completely inside the PC, with the edge of the box sticking out.
- The Battery will probably still be attached, but will be inside of whatever the case is.
The only things I haven't figured out are the monitor and the power switch. Well, the monitor's cord is extremely short so if I were to want to keep this a mobile device, the screen would need to be within like 2 inches of the board, unless I could find an extender, but I can't. The closest I've got is people mentioning it on the mp3car forums.
As for the power switch, instead of a traditional mobo that has pins and can be extended, the "switch" on the EEE is actually a button, so to extend it at all, I think I might have to create a clever lever mechanism. But I can't really figure that out until I decide on a case.
For the specs of the case, it needs to be somewhat open, meaning airflow is possible, and at least the following size.
- Length: 9" for just the board, probably more like 12" because cords will be coming out both sides.
- Width: 6" for just the board, 7" including the battery.
- Depth: 1" because of the power box; the board is only 1.5mm though, but then it does need a little space anyway.
- SUMMARY: 12" x 7" x 1"
Another idea is putting it inside a keyboard, which has already been done and is incredibly cool. But I have no idea where the Russian dude found that huge keyboard, plus he's done it first and I kind of want to do something original.
The only other idea I have is to stick it in an old video game system. I have a Sega Saturn I was thinking about getting rid of, but that this is the size of an Xbox.
It's frustrating....the things I think of are either too large or too small. I need to find one that's just right. The goldilocks of the nerd world.