Saturday, March 19, 2011

Update to DoaAN Labels

I just got done with updating how I do labels for this site. The main problem before was some confusion between things like "Linux" and "Operating Systems," and using "Random" waaaaay too much. (Everything is random, in some sense.) So I tried to organize it as much as possible, though I'm not sure how well it will work.

Blogger really needs a form of categories. And so many people say "Labels are categories!", but they're wrong. A label is what the post is about. A category is what type of post it is. (At least, in my mind.) So a "Rant" might be a category because that is the basis of the post, but if it's a rant about iTunes, then it would have a label for iTunes. Similarly, most posts should only have one category, but can have many different labels.

Basically, Blogger needs to just at least add the ability to create another set of "Labels" with a different name. Instead, they just get mixed in with the labels and they are entirely different attributes to the post. Here are the categories I might currently have:
  • Rants
  • Musings
  • Random Thoughts
  • Weird Bugs / Errors
  • Video Vednesday
  • Good Reads / Videos
Another alternative would be at least the ability to create sub-tags, or tag children. The main few I see are:
  • Google ____
  • Operating Systems
  • Webcomics

Anyway, those are my brief thoughts on the matter. Hopefully the new tags will be a tad more relevant, but I'm not sure how to organize the sidebar, since the tag cloud is getting a tad messy, though I really like how it displays what I post about most. (If anyone could find a way to make it one tag per line but still retain the resizing-according-to-frequency, that would be great.)

-Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment