Saturday, April 9, 2011

Good video on "What Desktop Linux needs and problems"

I ran into an interesting video about -you guessed it- Linux. The one that really sets this apart than most of the others I've seen is that this guy is not a die-hard Linux fan. Actually, he's alot like me: distro-hopped (although a bit longer than I have), but never really settled because it never felt "complete." So without further ado, here's the video by FearedBliss:



Some quotes:
  • "There's no Standardization which is ok, until [you've reached] the point where you're disorganized."
  • "It's not a problem if somebody wants something and they have their own agenda...but when you have so many different people trying to expand their agenda, it just creates, like, a chaos."
  • "KDE...is too bloated...GNOME is too plain...XFCE and *chuckle* Fluxbox are good, but it's not like a complete Desktop Environment."
  • "I don't know what the hell is going on, they just need something that's very easy to use: RPM or DEB. Now in my opinion, I like DEB files more because Aptitude just works faster for me."

Overall, this guy and I think alot alike. I think he might be a bit naive at some points (which actually probably shows how alike we really are), like when he says that "seamless integration" between every distro needs to happen. Sound good? Hell yeah. Harder than it sounds? Hell yeah. Of course, if all Linux distros went off his first point, which was standardization, this would be a hella lot easier, but still, challenging.

His idea for a "drag-and-drop make" is very interesting; I haven't compiled from source enough to say if it is possible or a good idea, but I definitely like where his head is at.

Cool beans. It's nice to know that there are other people like me out there (even though he sounds like he knows a lot more than me, that's still cool....he's also a Computer Science major and that's got to count for something).

-Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment