Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Nerd" vs "Geek"

It occurred to me a while back that I might be using the word "nerd" out of context, and instead should be using "geek."

Nerd.
  • Someone with an extremely intense interest or fascination in an academic field of study. [1]
  • Understands, creates, and fixes really cool stuff. [2]
    • A Nerd is an “intellectual” who devotes large amounts of time to studying.
  • Nerds are raw brain power at its finest. [3]

Geek.
  • Someone with an interest or lifestyle having to do with niche activities, especially fandom and technology. [1]
  • Understands and collects really cool stuff. [2]
    • In other words, they are someone who has a large amount of “useless” knowledge.
  • Geeks are now unilaterally almost always associated with fandom. [3]

I think I definitely have tendencies of both, and I hope that this blog is still adequately named: I aspire to be a nerd, particularly in the area of Computer Science, who understands it to better my career and the ability to create things. But I am still a Geek because I love video games, Firefly, and all that other good Geek culture stuff. All in all, the true question comes down to

The question is, does computer knowledge make you a nerd of a geek? [2]

.....or a little bit of both? Thoughts? Opinions?
-Bry

[1] wikihow
[2] Lastgeek.com 
[3] wolfgnards.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment