Saturday, May 21, 2011

Netflix randomly stopping playback

Don't get me started on how long Netflix Instant hasn't been available for Linux. I'm (reluctantly) ok with using VirtualBox for the time being, but even inside a VM, for some reason, Netflix Instant Player randomly stops playback. The video is still buffered to a point but the video just stops. The only way to start it up again is to reload the page. Not too bad, until it starts happening every 2 minutes.

If I can remember correctly, a while ago I was watching on Netflix and it froze and I said "Screw it" and continued to go about my business leaving it frozen. A while later (like 30 minutes to an hour), it randomly starts playing again.

I know that my network isn't the greatest, but I never had this problem while using Windows and it doesn't seem like a VM should make a difference. Maybe I'll run a cable and see if a wired connection is any better, but it seems more like a Linux-connection to VM-Windows-connection problem to me.

If anyone has any clues, let me know. Or Netflix would just hurry up on its Chrome Plugin...
-Bry

[UPDATE 6-2-11]
I upped the RAM and that all but solved the problem; now it freezes maybe once an hour. It's still a stupid problem, but alot better than it used to be.

So if you happen to be having this problem in a VM, make sure you're giving it plenty of resources.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I'm having this happen except on my Windows HTPC. Outstanding.

    ReplyDelete