Thursday, November 17, 2011

Where's the KDE love, Mint?

Recently I tried to fix a very longstanding APT problem I had with my install. Long story short, I fixed it by manually removing and re-adding every single source by hand. Only I thought that many of the sources were out of date in that they referenced some older version of Ubuntu so I decided to go ahead and switch everything over to Oneiric. .........oops? Everything broke. When I try to select the top option in my GRUB menu, I get a black screen.

In any case, rather than try to fix the 300 packages I probably broke, I was just going to start from scratch, install the newest version of Linux Mint KDE. Only problem is, I'm running the newest version of LM KDE. Yeah, Mint 11 has been out for almost 6 months but KDE 11 is no where to be seen.

I don't want to be the whiny user, but it's just frankly disappointing, because Linux Mint KDE 10 is the best KDE distro I tried. It absolutely blows Kubuntu out of the water. So when I see that Linux Mint 11 LXDE, and LMDE with GNOME and XFCE are all getting released, but no KDE version around, I just get wary. I honestly don't know where else to go. I guess openSUSE is the next best thing but YaST still makes me want to blow chunks.


In any case, I guess I'll just reinstall LM KDE 10, or try to fix the problem(s). As for the future of LM KDE, as long as there will be a LM 12 KDE, I will be happy.
-Bry

[UPDATE 12-7-11]
So apparently Boo -the maintainer for the KDE spin- has kind of vanished. Back in the end of October, Clem -the founder and maintainer of Mint- said that he was working hard on the main edition but after it was released (i.e., now) he would turn his attention to KDE if Boo had not returned. Well, still no word from Boo and LM12 is out.

This really doesn't set my mind at ease because I know that Clem will not (and should not) attempt to maintain both the main and KDE releases; although I prefer KDE, I think the main release of Mint has always been fantastic (haven't tried out 12 though) and Clem needs to continue that. Hopefully, if Boo doesn't come back, they'll be able to find someone else to step up. Otherwise, I guess I'm headed to Chakra or Mageia or Sabayon or something.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder just the same. Of all the KDE distros I tested I found Mint the best and I'm still using the 10 with KDE with much joy. But I'm also starting to get a bit nervous since there is no KDE version of 11 to be seen with latest KDE updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm getting a little tired of the KDE prejudice in general. Yes, KDE dose try to emulate features- people like from other operating systems.

    So NO your not as big a Linux Fanboy if you use KDE, but some of us just want an attractive intuitive desktop. Honestly XFCE gets a release before KDE...That's freaking retarded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,

    I hear people say that KDE is a lot like Windows and I see that. Both KDE and Windows 7 have the snap-to-half-the-screen feature, which I love; GNOME does not.

    But I also like KDE because of how it is different. The whole plasma deal, Lancelot, and more that I cannot recall at the moment because my computer still will not boot...

    The whole point of Linux is choice and I find it ridiculous that people are seen as "less of a Linux user" just because of their preference.

    ReplyDelete