Sunday, January 15, 2012

I've got good Chakra

After messing with many, many problems on Mint KDE, I've finally moved to Chakra, and I am loving it so far. The transmission was decently smooth since I keep my home folder on a different drive so it is just a symlink away.

Btrfs
Oh wow. I've been hearing about Btrfs for a good while, but I did not expect for it to be this snappy. My last system was fine, but this one flies. I do not like that btrfs-tools is not pre-installed (which I understand since it is not explicitly supported by Chakra yet), but what I like even less is that it is not even available from the repos.



AppSet-Qt
I was hesitant at first, mostly because it went with the old-KDE layout of tabs on the sides and I don't like that for some reason, but I have quickly changed my mind. AppSet is extremely clean, incredibly fast (probably helped by Btrfs) and well layed out. The are four small things that I would change about it though. First, it asks you for you sudo password way more often than any other package manager I've used; unlike Synaptic, it doesn't prompt you beforehand and then that's it, it asks you when you want to install, when you want to change the repositories, and (most frustratingly) when you want to update the list. Secondly, it minimizes to the tray, which I don't particularly like because it's not something I need to have running all the time. Thirdly, I really wish the progress bar was in the window itself rather than a small child window; it's more of an annoyance than anything, but it keeps popping up and disappearing. Lastly, it has this weird problem with not being able to be minimized sometimes; I can't really remember the circumstances, but it basically minimizes and then reappears very quickly. But still, those 4 complaints are hardly anything, really classified more as annoyances than real bugs.

Honest to god, I love AppSet thus far. Brilliant, brilliant app.


Wuala
Wuala is one of the most important pieces of software that I need, and unfortunately, I've had a hella hard time trying to get it working. The installation method is very strange and the error messages are very cryptic and useless, but I believe the problem is that it requires GTK, which I really want to avoid. But I sure as hell need Wuala, so I might just need to break and install GTK. I'm going to look into creating a bundle for it, and if I succeed (and LaCie does not sue me) I will attempt to share it somewhere.



Tomahawk
I really liked Tomahawk the first time I launched it, but I feel like it's aimed at someone else. It's still a wonderful app, runs great, and does what it's supposed to do, but it really isn't even layed out for an offline collection, even if it's available as a feature. You can only view grouped by Artist and when you double click an artist, it opens up a page about them instead of what songs you yourself have. I guess what I wish the most is if it was more favorable to the songs you had in your collection than the ones that exist somewhere online.

The main reason I really can't use it is that it has no support for mobile players, i.e. my phone. I am really disappointing because Banshee -as much as I like it- is just so wildly unstable and unpolished, at least the version that I was using on Mint. But I still liked it more than Amarok and Clementine and those are really the only options I see as viable. (Nightingale is finally out, but it's GTK, though so is Banshee).


QupZilla
QupZilla deserves its own blog post.


Qt4Wine
WINE didn't ship with Chakra, and while I was looking for it I came across Qt4Wine. It's just a really brilliant GUI for WINE stuff like shortcuts to regedit or explorer, a process viewer, and a built in WineDB search! I highly recommend it if you run WINE and like Qt.



That's all I really have to say about it. Everything is working fine, including the GTK apps that are in bundles. I'm still kind of getting used to everything, but I am enjoying the pfargtl out of it so far.

-Bry

PS - Are we using .kde4 now instead of .kde? Is it bad that I symlinked the latter to the former? I guess I'll find out!

PPS - I still love Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment