Friday, July 6, 2012

Linux CD images

A while ago I had the idea to have a stack of CD-RW's for several of my favorite Linux distros. I've burned CD-R's before, but the problem is, they are usually very quickly obsoleted and while they aren't useless -my HTPC runs an older version of Mint- they surely aren't as useful as a new version would be. With a CD-RW, you could have a live image ready and waiting and you can just rewrite it as soon as a new version is released.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I decided that it would be nice to have some really nice CD covers for the cases, but I really didn't want them to have any type of version on it since it would constantly be changing. At the same time, I would like it to kind of capture what that distro is all about, including the look and feel of it recently, e.g., have purple for Ubuntu instead of the disgusting brown.

With that in mind, here are a few that I've been able to either (a) make, (b) modify, or (c) steal.....er, borrow. (In all seriousness, if I have inadvertantly used anyone's work without their permission, please let me know, preferably in an e-mail.)

  • Arch
  • Backtrack
  • Crunchbang
  • Debian
  • DSL
  • Fedora
  • Mint KDE
  • Mint
  • OpenSUSE
  • Pardus
  • PartedMagic
  • SliTaz
  • Ubuntu
  • Xubuntu (this one is crap that I made myself)

Click for a gallery because I am lazy

You might be thinking "But Bry, did you only make them for your favorite distros? Is that fair?" Duh. I made them for the distros that I would specifically use. I have nothing against any other distros and would gladly make them for any other distros that someone would request (or add any contributions, with credits given appropriately). But I'm not going to spend a ton of time going out and creating them for all the gazillions of distros that are out there. (Have you been to Distrowatch lately?)

's all.
-Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment