Sunday, August 5, 2012

A newbies few thoughts on Git

Being an absolute newbie to version control (aside from Dropbox...), my experience with Git over the last few days has been extremely enlightening. I haven't used anything else like Subversion or CVS, but Git seems extremely elegant, yet powerful. It's definitely a daunting task, especially with no other version control software experience under one's belt, but the free online book called "Pro Git" is by far the best resource I could ask for. It explains everything you need to know (at least for a beginner) in the right order and in a way that is very easy to understand.

I started out using Git on Windows and then moved into Linux and I've noticed that the Git client on Linux seems much more strict. I'm currently working with Google Code as a remote repository and after a frustrating dozens of searches, I discovered that the Windows version of git is ok with the .netrc file being multiple lines: the Linux version is not.

That's all for now. I think I'm definitely glad that I chose Git to start out with.
-Bry

No comments:

Post a Comment